Follow @WkndProjectGirl Tweet

Monday, September 19, 2011

Art Fair Saturday

The George R. Brown Convention Center hosted the Houston Fine Art Fair over the weekend.  It was really fun and featured galleries from the United States, Latin America, and Europe.   What a treat to see the works of such famous artists like Warhol and Rauschenberg (especially Rauschenberg) :).  However, nothing captured my attention like Margaret Thatcher Projects Gallery, who featured an eye catching contemporary "paper" artist.     

I'm apologizing in advance for all of my posts about paper lately, but I can not seem to escape it!  

Adam Fowler,   quickly sketches his loop designs in graphite or charcoal and then the slow and steady work begins.  For weeks at a time he meticulously cuts his woven lace-like design with an exacto.  In the end it is a thin and delicately crafted web.  The numerous designs are layered to create one piece with a lot depth.  Some of his works layer as many as 50 sheets!

It was a pleasure talking with the gallery about his process and the work itself.

When my boyfriend and I literally had a physical reaction to his art, we knew it was the best we were going to see at the fair.  We kind of just quickly walked through the rest of the fair but were really only thinking about getting back over to look at Adam Fowler's work again!  Haha!

-WPG





2 comments:

  1. Love his work! I think I've seen it at the Rachofsky House in Dallas. If not his, the same concept. And wow! You do just stand there and stare! I tried the paper cutting of my own swirls and completely messed it up! It didn't help that my exacto was rusty, but it is definitely more complicated than I imagined it would be. And your gift for your boyfriend will be so meaningful for both of you. Also, thanks for the Wonder Bar link. I will have to visit the next time I'm in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to see his art in person AND tried it out yourself! I'm really tempted to see if I can do it too! I will let you know how it goes! haha!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?